Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A new year... a new beginning

Its 2010 already. Who knew the last decade would be so different than the previous ones. I vividly remember the last day of the 20th century. Y2k was supposed to hit an it turned out to be a huge bust.

The beginning of this century was not the best time of my life. I was in college and hated my entire 4 years there. Could there be a place more depressing than that place? At that time I was preparing for my GRE and come 2010, I am preparing for my GRE. sometimes I wonder if I advanced at all in the past decade. I came to the US. Probably the best decision I made in my life. I learnt how to eb independent, learnt about the relationships, value of friendships, how to live with a bunch of strangers, how some of those strangers can take you for a ride. I also found out how one can find true love. You just have to realise it.

It was probably the most different decade ever. The first decade, I don't really remember much. I remember my grand ma, our joint family, walks with my cousin back from school, where we stayed in mandavelli (adanjan mudali st) and my father buuying our current apartment. The decade wa sboth horrible and great. i was in Vidya Mandir. Probably the best time I spent ever. Ofcourse, thinsg went down hill in my family with financial trouble and other problems. I remember wanting that time to end soon. By the end of that decade, my mom had her accident. Good and bad things came out of it. I left school and joined MGR.

The first 3 years of the last decade was just spent in cribbing. I hated the people in college, didnt really like much. Made a few friends. SO much politics. Never knew people could be so mean. It was a shock coming from a wonderful school. So much gossiping, teasing. Why do people change when they leave school? I am sure they must have been nice when they were in school. Well.. what ever. I am not going back to that stage ever in my life.

Then I came here, met my future hubby. I remember meeting him for the first time. This brahmin boy with curls in his hair. In 6 months after knowing him I knew I wanted to spend the rest of ym life with him. 6 and half years forward - we got married last year.
I didn't know better when I was doing my masters. Wish I had somebody to mentor me. My cousin did all she could. I just wish somebody could have told me about CPT and OPT crap.
Anyways, almost 5 years after graduation, here I am in a decent job.

Ofcourse, 2009 wasn't the best either. We went into a lot of financial troubles. Still are. Hope 2010 will make our lives better.

I lost my dear dear friend. She was my best friend. I still miss her. She was the one person I used to meet when ever I went back home to Chennai. Now I just feel that my trips are going to be empty. We became close only during the last few years of her life. Wish I had spent more time with her. Let her be at peace. I just wish the whole of last year was just a bad dream (barring my wedding ofcourse). Losing her definitely put things in perspective for me. There are lot more things to life than just money or clothes. Our troubles are always small when compared to millions of others around the world.

2010 beginning was probably the worst. My uncle went into ICU cause of liver failure. He had a liver transplant yesterday. The doctors did their magic on him. The surgery went fine, but he is still in critical condition. We wont know if the surgery was a success or not only after 5 more days. Such things make us forget all the petinness, anger, fights. I could only remember the itme when my uncle baby sat me before his wedding. This was long long ago.. when I was 1 or 2 years old. I suddenly remembered that and ofcourse all the instances with him during my life. We are hoping this is a miracle and he will get through this.

Right now, my hubby & I are concentrating on our graduate exams. My hubby is going to take the GMAT and I am going to take the GRE next week on wednesday Jan 13. Hopefully that goes well. I should have done it long ago. I would have atleast finished my degree half way through!

Well, time for me to stop rambling and get back to studying.

No comments: